HAPPINESS IS NOT A CHOICE

Recently I read this famous quote, “Happiness is a choice” in social media. I have heard it before but didn’t give much importance to it. Is it really a choice to us? Do you think if we have that choice, anyone will choose sadness over happiness? Obviously the choice to take a decision will be completely based on us. But these are feelings. And that’s why we are called human beings. Happiness is not just putting on a fake smile, acting joyful and pretending everything is OK. Sometimes things are not okay and that's fine. Let’s say, you decide to be happy today, you made a choice to be happy the whole day. You get a call in the afternoon and your father passed away. God forbid. Now? Your happiness should be inside, not only on your face. It can never be a choice. We are not robots to control when to have certain feelings and when not to. Imagine your kid is suffering from cancer? And then someone comes and tells you, "Happiness is a Choice". Still is it? On a large ratio, people will feel different always, their feelings change according to the situations and time. It can never be controlled by us. I wish it can be controlled. I wish we all chose happiness forever.


Usually a lot of people who say it have gone through some kind of difficult or painful process.  You guys will be thinking why am I always talking about life, sadness, happiness and feelings. Right? Like as if I have a great experience with people or a PhD in Psychology. Nothing. But my blog is all about this. I am not here to write about ISRO or talk about TRUMP. So when I get a story within me, which happened in real life, I might write it and add more feelings to it. That’s it. I recently got a message regarding this, so that’s the reason I told.
 
If you’re going to agree that no two people are the same, then you have to accept that different things work for different people. So, before you tell me to “just choose to be happy,” remember that not everyone finds this “choice” empowering, or even possible. In fact, there is nothing wrong with being unhappy. It's ok not to be happy. A life filled with roller coaster emotions makes you alive. Sometimes the direction you are traveling will be difficult and life won't be fair, but that's life. And you know what, the best lessons of our life are learned when we are sad. We realize only that time in most cases.  

For my visa exit, I went to Bahrain and had to wait in the airport for few hours. I saw an old Nigerian woman with a walker. She was all alone and it was very difficult for her to manage alone. After few minutes, when I looked at her, she was looking at me and immediately called me. She needed help with her phone to call her daughter and to whatsapp her. I helped her and sat next to her itself. We started talking. Old women usually praise so much if we do one small help also. 90% she was talking about GOD. She was telling me to believe in GOD, respect and help others. Be kind always. She was telling unexpected miracles have happened in her life, so believe in God even if you are going through a tough path. Her daughter had a fight with her the previous day, so she didn't charge her phone purposely and the battery was almost going to die. Her belief towards God was extremely strong. In between she needed help with the phone to call her and also to check if the visa has come. We all were waiting for the new visa for re entry in Dubai. It almost took half a day, so in between I went to have lunch, whereas she didn't come because she was not hungry. I came back after an hour, she was still there, reading bible. It seems her battery died and few minutes ago, a person gave his power bank to her and left. She was praising him so much. Like Wow, it's amazing. She was telling even though it is a small thing for others,for her it was something really big and told me that God will help you in some or the other form. Her belief was damn strong. She took that person's and my number as well. 2 days later she actually called me and thanked me so much. She was praising me so much on the phone. It felt really nice even though I know I didn't do anything much. 

Sometimes unexpected and unknown people will make us smile during tough times, so focus on that. Let's not expect so much from someone and spoil our happiness, because sometimes it really hurts. Let's just go with the beautiful flow of life.

Comments

Popular Posts